Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Hello
I lost my temper at work and did a few things I didn't want to in front of everyone including clients. I hate losing my temper. The boss told me that I need to be unemotional and view customer criticism and helping people as something other than personal. He says that pride in my work is a motivator. So I asked how I could avoid letting my pride hurt me emotionally.

I want to take some time off and reassess my life and how to do my job better and without all the fuss. I am not taking mental leave but I need to spend time away from worrying about Mom and Dad and my career, my job, and my life.

Ideas on this are welcome.

2 comments:

BEEBEE said...

Kat, sometimes you have to get angry and lose your temper. This PC world has those that would make you believe that anger is not a legitimate emotion. If a client makes you lose your temper, then your boss should be understanding. Now, most certainly the customer should come first. But if someone treats you with less than the amount of respect that all people deserve, then they probably deserve to be told off. I tell people like it is, and they either take it or leave. I am as cordial as possible, but I refuse to be a door mat for anyone.

Hang in there, and don't beat yourself up. I bet the customer respects you for being honest and forthright, if not then you did the best you could to enlighten them. Now, do you feel better? If not, I am not charging you for the consultation. You do not have a legitimate reason to scream back at me because it is free advice. Ha! Have a good weekend, and as some actor says "forget about it!"

nataS said...

Indeed, anger is a legitimate emotion; however, it has its own time and place. Public outbursts are to be expected but, your employer may not agree...especially if customers are involved. Changing the focus, customers may be far too critical, dependent upon the situation, and often, you must ignore them in your own best interest...both emotionally and in terms of your career...and it can be hard to do, especially if the customer is in the wrong.