Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Christmas Albums from retailers


I have been digitizing some albums my parents bought over the years. I ripped them to MP3 and put them on CD. One is a 1972 album from Grant's Stores (we had one in Warner Robins) and another was from JCPenney in 1973. Penney's is on the nice part of Libertycounsel.org's list of those retailers who do or don't mention Christmas in their marketing. But don't look for too many retailers' Christmas compilations.

I bought a compilation off Ebay that we had discarded years ago. The album was sold by Goodyear stores in 1967 and was stamped by Columbia Special Projects. This compilation of various artists was called, "The Great Songs of Christmas" and features, in a round robin, several singers including Robert Goulet and a young John Davidson.

Featured twice on the record is the folk group The New Christy Minstrels. Mind you this is a politically incorrect name but none of the members wore blackface and in fact longtime member Barry McGuire sung the 1965 protest hit, "Eve of Destruction".

I guess it's a way of honoring my childhood- and my Dad. I see so much wrong with the present that I have to reach to the past. It's only going to corkscrew myself further into a depressed state. I come home tired from work and oversleep. I feel angry at myself because I don't listen to people, am impatient, am not nice to people as I used to be, and need to go to work on finding another job.

But I'll still listen to those old records. I mean, CD's.

No comments: