Saturday, June 21, 2008

Corrections and Continuation of The Fan

I want to correct something about the fan; it has SEVEN blades, not five. There are also only TWO speeds for the motor.


That being said I did the electrical connections to the fan. I first wiped the polishing compound off with a Windex-soaked rag. I took the fan blade/hub and the handle and sprayed them with bathroom cleaner.

I removed the 18AWG lamp-style cord from the switch assembly's wires. I had to squeeze the crimp connectors and eventually twisted them off. Ah, American workmanship a la the Sixties! TV's, radios, and Hunter fans were built to last by someone in Kansas, California, New York, or Iowa. I soldered the double-insulated supply cord onto the bared wires, put wire nuts on for insulation, and applied electrical tape. I surrounded the motor wires going to the switch and the supply cord with 3/8" split loom plastic.


The fun part was fixing the box. I notched the box at three different places and the lid at two different places before I found a way to avoid yanking the wires. This was tedious. I found that the fastening nut for the switch needs to be brushed with a metal cleaner. It looks ugly. And I would love to get a thin fender washer to cut down on the switch nut's gnawing on the metal fan shell. I had to really tighten up on the two long screws holding the motor onto the shell. The thin wires weren't there anymore; the new wires were thicker.

I turned on the fan and touched the shell with my finger to see if it would electrocute me. This was a dumb idea but my finger would give less of a path to the current and I was on a wooden floor should there be stray volts. All was well. I still want to get longer screws for holding the fan motor to the shell.




Please note that I did not repaint the motor casing. That would have been too time consumptive given that the coil and shaft would have to be removed. Spraying paint with the motor in place would require an impossible feat of masking. At least I cleaned it with solvent.

I found a problem bigger than the grill issue. The Hunter grille logo, on a round badge with a simulated wood grain background, is wearing off. Other than taping over it with clear tape I can see no easy solution. I could mask over the Hunter lettering and paint the whole darned thing brown. When I sand down the grilles I will remove the badge and seek a solution. I could scan the badge and make a decal using my inkjet.

No comments: