Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Teaser: on being a snob

This is what is known as a teaser post. It means to get ready for a larger post.

I met some people I knew from college; some who I never heard from in almost TWENTY years. Then I thought; do they or did they ever know that my family didn't have the money that they or their families had. In fact, we are maybe a step behind compared to the people attending our church or living nearby.

The kids attending my college, a private school, were technically from upper-to-middle class families. Many of the out-of-towners joined Greek organizations. I was a GDI (the last letter is Independent; the first two come from Reverend Wright). I would have been closer to my element at, say, UGA or GCSU. Would I have enjoyed it as much? Maybe or maybe not.

Take me twenty years ago. I was not only a shy person with very awkward social skills; I was a snob. A snob is one with an inferiority complex who worries about the other person having more and who dislikes whoever has less. That was me. A poor snob.

I want to elaborate so those who knew me from school will realize that I was who I was and fairly judge me. They may have not known I had little. I got along fine with them and enjoyed talking to them. In fact some still remember me. I didn't reveal too much about myself. I was scared they would hurt me for who I was- or what I was.

I also want to get into the discussion further to apologize to these people. I was a Democrat, for example. I felt they were too tight with "evil" evangelical Christians. I was attracted to taxing the rich because I thought it would make my world better. Today I feel terrible I could be such a fool and not treat them more fairly. I wasn't doing that badly after all; I did get into the school, make decent grades, and had no intentions of letting it go to waste.

I'll talk about this later.

No comments: