Saturday, May 13, 2006

Hello
5/3/06
Air compressor, part II

A few weeks ago I assembled the air compressor on a bench with the motor and belt. I connected a two-conductor power cord and though it spat oil the device functioned fine. The next step was to take the board on which the apparatus lay and put it onto the frame.

I connected the 300PSI orange hose I got from Lowe's and powered the unit up. It did fine though once it reached 60PSI the machine's shaft and clutch assembly separated and the pulley span freely. I drilled a hole in the pulley and shaft assembly and inserted a 1/4 inch bolt. I tried the compressor again but it had trouble attaining 80PSI.

I at first thought the compressor itself was broken. I disassembled the head from the body and examined it. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary. That was my mistake. I had damaged the gasket. I took some silicone gasket sealant (comes in a tube for 4.00 or so) and did a half-hearted job of replicating the gasket according to the smudge pattern left after I cleaned the surface.

I then put the compressor onto the belt and bolted it to the frame. There was air coming out of the intake after powering on the unit. Also my coupling to the discharge hose needed tightening and a little teflon tape.
I was about to give up and went to an auto parts store and purchased some paper gasket material.

I decided to be a fair man and give the device one more chance. I did a much better job of placing the sealant onto the head and let it dry for a day or two as it was loosely nested upon the body of the compressor. The screws were tightened and I turned the machine on. It hit 80PSI though the unit's 1HP motor shuddered.

Of course all the compression is for naught if the tank leaks into the compressor and the still-loose fittings. The next step is a check valve. I tried the one that came with the Campbell-Hausfeld unit but it didn't seem to turn loose when air came from the compressor. It also warrants another chance. A visit to Tractor Supply turned up a check valve with a 25.00 price tag. The valve was too large. Prices on the Internet are much better.

I found a link to a stationary version of my unit. Click on http://home.san.rr.com/jerryswartz/AirCompressor/HomeBuiltAirCompressor.htm .

Darnit I wish I had tallied the costs of materials before I embarked on this project. I also wish that I had tried the sealant on the Campbell-Hausfeld pump/motor but I was in the "cut my losses" mood and subjected the unit to the trash way too soon. Next time I will leave the parts lay for a few days as my frustration bubbles away.

1 comment:

KAT said...

Hello
Clarification; the date on the post was to be 5/13/06. Also the compressor has "Lester" stamped on the side. It is still a York design from what I can see.

KAT