Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Hello
I haven't made my rounds here as much since I have been working on the floor in the laundry, trying to pass this goshawful online series of exams for my class, and dealing with Christmas.

My career plans are in a state of flux. I know I have to leave Macon and quit being a homebody but I am finding myself less and less motivated by information technology. I have considered working for a defense contractor, being a journalist, or even being a nurse. I would make a good professor but don't have the patience with some students and most professors. Besides, government is a cop-out. The last time I gave up on information technology was when I tried to find a job in the local defense contractor community. It was like an alcoholic staying away from alcohol I kept gravitating towards information technology.

I will initiate a Kool-Aid drinker's list on another posting. It is voluminous. Lori Ugolik is one of the names along with two doctors who gave to Moveon.org.

Meanwhile I got hold of an aircheck of WABC's Saturday Night oldies show. For those unitiated, WABC was THE radio station when it came to hit music in the Sixties and Seventies. It didn't play everything out there but catered to a mainstream Top 40 audience. It was an AM station and the disco movement and FM radio killed it back in 1982. But its listeners didn't forget WABC entirely.

Corporate radio, along with rap music, drove off anyone over 30. Oldsters and aircheck nuts like myself worship WABC. So Phil Boyce, the program director, let the music play again on Dec. 3 with Mark Simone doing the talking. The phone calls were a bit much but this was part of a build-up. You can catch some cuts minus most of the music on airchexx.com (RIAA, who can sue if anyone gives away copyrighted music, says all but snippets of music are not to be posted on the Internet).

I just pray to God that Cumulus does NOT buy WABC and the rest of the ABC radio stations. They have ruined radio in Macon and made life miserable for those whom they did not run off. Can anyone say Rick Knight or Gerry Marshall at WDEN? They kicked the oldies to the curb at 105.5. I hope to see Cumulus in bankruptcy court; no tears for them if they make it there.

I am still boycotting Wal-Mart (for not allowing clerks to say "Merry Christmas") but that may come to a halt as K-Mart is a depressing place to shop. Yes, K-Mart/Sears officially disallows "Merry Christmas" but they aren't two-faced nor do they put on a homestyle front). The Warner Robins store looks like a going-out-of-business concern in some ghetto. Even the best-looking K-Mart isn't as well stocked with goodies. And I will NEVER go into Target; not only does the place shun Christmas it is a contributor to liberal causes.

KAT

No comments: