Monday, June 12, 2006

Denny's and Oversleep

I had a frustrating day at work on Saturday so I went to sleep. I got up, jumped in the Honda, and went to Denny's in Byron.

For those who don't know, Denny's in Byron started out in the late Eighties as a Shoney's. When Shoney's left most of Middle Georgia the facility became a Denny's. A few years ago it suffered from bad service and lukewarm coffee (Millstone tastes a bit like wee tee anyway). People had to wait at the front for minutes to get seated.

I was the last customer in all likelihood come the night Denny's closed. I heard the manager on duty say that afternoon they waved off someone coming to close the restaurant because of a lack of a court order. The next day I went by and found the place closed.

Today the facility is still a 4500 ft2 behemoth compared to the smaller Denny's such as the Locust Grove store. That means a bigger light bill and lots of rent to be recouped for a 24-hour operation.

Having said that the service needs improvement. I had to wait 15 or so minutes for my food despite there only being 7 other customers there at 11PM. My lukewarm wee-tee did not get refilled promptly. I thought to myself that the labor pool must be from Peach and Crawford counties (can we say redneck?).

I may not go back to Denny's; then again it may be closed down again by the time I change my mind.

No comments: